Thursday, June 17, 2010

Mr. T's 30 lb. Necklace: Part 2 Sucka!


Mr. T's first incarnation was pretty darn good, but it's latest incarnation will hopefully kick even more ass. It has kind of evolved from a Golden Strong ale that tasted more like a Tripel, to actually being a Tripel, and hopefully a much better one at that.

For numbers on ABV and IBU's I stuck pretty close to Westmalle, my favorite Tripel. I also used the Wyeast equivalent of their yeast. I did however use what ingredients I had on hand, so most of the base grain is organic 2-row instead of pilsner. For sugar I used sugar in the raw. I was a little worried about the unrefined sugar adding too much of an odd rummy flavor, and I considered splitting the huge sugar load between that and corn sugar, but in the end I just went for it. The sugar does have a noticeable aroma that I really like, so hopefully it will work well with the beer and not throw it too far off the style. If this beer turns out really well, I could see it being a great beer to do for Christmas presents again, because it will be even stronger and better aged by the time Christmas comes along. I'm planning on bottle conditioning this, most likely.

Mr. T's 30 lb. Necklace, Part 2 Sucka!
Brewed on 6/14/10
Recipe is for 6.75 gallons pre-boil before sugar, 5.9 gallons post boil, all grain
O.G. 1.083 F.G. ABV IBU's 38


9 lb. Great Western organic 2-row
2 lb. Weyermann Pilsner
.5 lb Munich
2.5 lbs (!) organic cane sugar, like Sugar in the Raw

30 gr. Sterling pellets 7% AA 90 min
21 gr. Styrian Goldings pellets 3.5% 30 min
21 gr. Styrian Goldings pellets 3.5% 3 min
26 gr. Sterling pellets 7% AA loose dry hop
16 gr. Simcoe pellets 12.2% AA loose dry hop

Mash: 4 gallons + 3 gr. gypsum + 3 gr. calcium chloride
Mash in to 148, fell to 145 over 45 minutes.
Raised to 160 over 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes and begin sparge.

Sparge with 5 gallons at 170
Collect 6.75 gallons at 1.055 = 89% efficiency.

Boil 90 minutes, sugar at beginning of boil.
Wyeast nutrient & Whirlfloc at 10 min

Chill with plate chiller to 70 degrees, oxygen for 90 seconds.
Pitch 1/2+ cups thick yeast slurry of Wyeast 3787 generation 2.
Chill to 65 in the next hour, slow ramp to 72 over 12 days. Left in the primary at ambient temp for 4 weeks.

7/14/10 Racked to keg, flavor sample was good but gravity was stuck at 1.020. First time I've had an under attenuated beer in quite a while! I pitched a little of a krausening starter of Cali 001 for the IPA brew into the keg, attached a blow off hose, and it seems to be slowly fermenting the remaining sugars at room temp.

8/9/10 Racked to a second keg which will be my bottling keg. This beer tastes great but the mutherfucker still won't dry out! It's sitting at 1.018 currently. Think I'm going to have to have a talk with Mr. T, maybe he is just getting too old. Next step will be to add a little Dupont yeast from the latest saison and give this sucka another month to dry out. I'm in no hurry and I won't be happy until it's under 1.012.

6/9/11 This beer was kegged off and refrigerated for the move in October but it never fell below 1.016. Must have been unfermentables from the raw sugar? The beer tasted very cloying so around February or March, I decided to pull it out, de-carb it, and add brett. Added bottle dregs from 2 750's of my strong brett saison. This dropped it to about 1.010, and tasting it tasted really good. I decided to add the dry hops, after that I'll either keg or bottle.

5 comments:

Tom E said...

Is the 9 lbs 2-row and 2 lbs pilsner just because it's what you had on hand, or is there a reason? I'm just curious if you feel that the 2 lbs of pilsner adds something that you wouldn't get otherwise. You don't have any adjunct so I'm sure it's not for enzymes.

Seanywonton said...

It was 2 lbs. of the last of a sack of pilsner. I think maybe it could add a little something in the way of flavor or diastatic power. I also thought about not using it at all since I was already using so much 2-row, but I decided to use it. Sorry, not much interesting going on in my recipe planning there.

Paul! said...

i'm excited to try this when it's done. I decided to splurge on a bottle of westmalle tripel the other night because of this post, pretty bitter and hoppy compared to alot of other tripels, is that what your aiming for with this one?
kick ass logo by the way, did you make that or find it?

Seanywonton said...

I found the Mr. T stained glass image on the interwebs and my friend Matt helped me do the fonts & stuff on Photoshop. I gave them away as Xmas presents 2 years ago. Definitely going for a Tripel in the vein of Wesmalle on this one. I'm OK if it's not ready to drink for a while, that would be cool in fact.

Chillindamos said...

Where's the "Like" button!? I hope you're doing well. Have a great summer. I'm on break so expect a furry of homebrewing in San Diego. Cheers!