Monday, November 30, 2009

Back to the *FUNK* with a Flanders Pale Ale


I have to do this blog entry without the photos because it looks like I might have left my camera sitting in the Caldera Taproom in Ashland, Oregon last Saturday (great beers, check it out if you're in Ashland). That would be a shame to have lost not only a camera, but also pictures of my brother's family and my 2 awesome nephews, who we got to visit for the first time in a long time this Thanksgiving weekend. Also, some pictures from the mecca of American breweries, Sierra Nevada, were on there. My brother lives only a couple hours from Sierra Nevada, and it was on the way down for us.

The camera also had some photos from the funky "Rodenbug" brew I did last Tuesday before we left. AlB of Babblebelt fame generously provided this bug blend of his own creation and balancing, which I'm planning to brew with for at least a few generations, and it's going into my next Flanders Red, which may be part of a barrel project, we'll see. Then I'll do another Deliverace Kentucky Sour. I'm still on a quest for a dark, sour rye beer that's so good it will make you "Squeal like a pig!". Thanks again for the bug blend, Al. Expect a nice package of homebrew and some Upright beer soon!

Here's the recipe for the Flanders Pale Ale. If it ends up anything like Petrus Aged Pale, I'd be very happy, although this is not really a clone attempt. I will probably add some oak later for flavor. I'll just take it in the appropriate direction later once it's got at least a year on it. I was a little scared of how hoppy I made this, but then again this beer is meant to age quite a while and the bitterness should mostly drop out. I added Glacier hops as a 100% first wort addition, as it's supposed to carry through a smooth hop profile with some flavor and surprisingly, aroma.

Recipe is for 7.2 gallons pre-boil, 5.9 gallons post-boil, all grain
O.G. 1.060 IBU's 27

10 lb. Great Western Pilsner malt
1 lb. Crystal 15
2 oz. Special B

42 gr. Glacier pellets 4.5% FWH

Water adjustments: Going for a balanced chloride:sulfate ratio, added 2 gr. Gypsum and 3 gr. Calcium Chloride to the mash. Same amount to the sparge water.

Mash: 4.25 gallons, mash in to 156 and keep in the mid-150's for 1 hour
Sparge with 5 gallons at 170
Collect 7.2 gallons at 1.049 = 84% efficiency

Boil 90 minutes, hops went in the kettle before the wort.
wyeast nutrient & whirlfloc at 10 minutes
Chilled to 70, aerated by shaking for 3 minutes
Pitched AlB's Rodenbug blend, plus a rehydrated pack of Safale US-05
Fermentation temp started pretty low as we were out of town with the heat off, but I got it up to 75 on the 4th day. Going to try to keep it in the 60's during secondary if at all possible.

Now the hard part...patience.

12/22/09 Racked to secondary, 1.016. Kind of weirdly funky and hoppy but not sour yet.
Collected 3 pint jars of the yeast slurry for the flanders barrel project.




5 comments:

Paul! said...

dude.... your recipe is wack.. you left out some pretty key things such as

BAILEYS IRISH CREAM!!!

BAILEYS IRISH CREAM CLOSER!!!!

BAILEYS IRISH CREAM AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET WITHOUT GETTIN YR EYEBALL WET!!!!!!!!

Paul! said...

actually i should say that your recipe has a downstairs mix up

Seanywonton said...

I did add some Mangina bugs though...

forrest said...

i'm quite relieved to know i'm not the only one with an Old Gregg fetish.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.